(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Michael Smith <smith_at_xml-doc.org>
Date: 12/07/05
Nick May <nick@kyushu.com> writes:
> Well...
>
> I have a Voda702NK (a Nokia 6630)  It has a basic "keitai style"
> browser on it, and I have downloaded the Opera browser too (which has
> expired, but I played with it a bit...)
>
> So - one handset, two browsers - with radically different capabilities.
>
> The opera browser will let me look at desktop pages - but not very
> elegantly....
>
> For example, look at a site like the Grauniad: (page at random)
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1660570,00.html
>
> It is a desktop page. A HUGE number of links down the left side.
> Useful when I browse on a desktop, but a pain using opera on my handset.

The placement of that nav-link div in the rendered output can be
controlled using CSS. In the HTML file that is the source for that
rendered output, the nav-link div does not need to physically
precede the div containing the main content for the page. In the
HTML file, it can be placed physically after the main body, and
then the rendered placement of it can be manipulated using CSS.

So if content authors want to design keitai-friendly sites, one
simple thing they can do to help get there is to start by placing
navigation and other extra stuff at the end of the source file,
after the main body, so that users viewing the site without a
browser that support CSS absolute positioning or floats will get
the main content at the top of the browser frame, and can then
scroll down to the bottom of the frame to get to that stuff if
they need to.

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith