(keitai-l) Re: smartphones

From: Claus Hoefele <claus.hoefele_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12/08/05
In my opinion, Nokia S80 phones (e.g. 9300i) or Sony Ericsson's P
series (e.g. P900) qualify as smartphones as their main intention is
to bring PDA functionality to phones. These phones have a large
screen, improved input system (keyboard, touch screen), and PDA like
applications (office, etc.)

I consider Nokia's S60 series and NTT DoCoMo's Symbian and Linux
devices "high-end" phones. Their main intention is to be a phone with
many features. The complexity of today's phones is the reason to use
Symbian and Linux. These OSs provide a more stable and documented
platform to build advanced features than home grown phone systems.

From this perspective it's understandable why some operators forbid to
install native applications on high-end phones. It's just not
necessary for the target market. The average phone user is happy (?!)
with Java, Flash, and Web applications.

Claus