(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/08/05
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Nick May wrote:

> I understand. I think. But this is at the cost of delivering the
> WHOLE kaboodle to the handset, then choosing which bits to display.
> The basic "download" is the same for both desktop and mobile If I
> understand correctly. You just don't see parts of it...

Correct.

Perhaps the solution to this is to download only part of the "kaboodle"
and then use Ajax techniques to download the rest if it's a desktop PC.

But even so, just adding the extra header information, id/class/etc.
attributes, an so on, might increase the size of the page by 50% or
more. And increasing your mobile customers' browsing charges is not
really something one wants to do.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974

***   Contribute to the Keitai Developers' Wiki!   ***
***           http://www.keitai-dev.net/           ***