(keitai-l) Re: smartphones

From: Joe Bowbeer <joe.bowbeer_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12/08/05
On 12/7/05, Gerhard Fasol <fasol@eurotechnology.com> wrote:

> What exactly is the dictionary-type/logic definition of
> a "smartphone"?

Great question.  It is hard to pin down this term.

Wikipedia says the key feature of a smartphone is that one can install
additional applications to the device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

But I don't think all J2ME and BREW phones are smartphones, so perhaps
the key feature is the ability to install additional "native"
applications.

My working definition is something like:

A smartphone is a phone whose OS is an identifying characteristic.
(In other words, where the OS is in the user's face...)

Joe.