(keitai-l) Re: Yahoo Go for Series 60

From: <>
Date: 01/09/06
  Well, another challenge for J2ME will be "cross application integration". My understanding is that Yahoo!Go main program is just like a "portal" who starts several others application: Yahoo!messenger, synchronisation, web browser,...
   On Midp, it's possible to start the browser through platformRequest, but you can not start another application, even another Midlet. You could do of course a MIDP2 Yahoo messenger client, but all the subpart needs to be bundled into the same single midlet. And this generates a lot of memory constraint issues.
   Lastly, Symbian does not have the security constraints of a MIDP application. When you tell Symbian that you trust the application, the app can do whatever she wants. On Midp, you NEED to be ceritified to remove some warnings (and even, it will not remove all of them). You have no possibility to tell once that you trust the application...(see http://blog.landspurg.net/?p=9 ).

  Thomas