(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone KK

From: <rumrails_at_yahoo.co.jp>
Date: 03/07/06
> I am going to be interested to see whether Softbank
> chooses to keep the
> Vodafone brand.

They will rebrand so that they can cross market with their
Yahoo services. The Vodaphone brand is not worth much in
Japan but the Yahoo brand is. Timing is a pretty big issue
though. As you point out, number portability complicates
things. But is keeping the Vodaphone brand a bigger risk
than changing it? Owning a Yahoo keitai could be cool but
owning a Vodaphone phone is the opposite.

> Similarly, Japanese labor practises make it
> difficult to do mass firings, so
> you will have a lot of the same people running
> things.

Not true. Businesses can down size anytime they want as
long as they can show they are not profitable. Softbank
can easily say that the company does not need the current
number of employees and can cut staff. If Vodaphone was
making lots of money, it would be difficult, but they are
not, so mass firings are possible. Softbank do not like to
pay people much if Yahoo BB is any indicator. I think
Softbank will probably lay some people off and push down
salaries over time.

TSUKAME EIKOU! KAGAYAKE EGAO!
Yahoo! JAPAN JPC OFFICIAL PARTNER INTERNET PORTAL SITE
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/wintergames/