(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone KK

From: Nik Frengle <nfrengle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 03/08/06
As regards profitability: Untrue. Vodafone K.K., despite the bad press, is
profitable. In 2003 it was in the top ten most profitable companies in
Japan, in 2004, again, quite profitable, and last years results haven't been
released, but I think it is clear that they were profitable. So, it is not a
simple matter to fire people, though of course Softbank has shown in
the past their willingness to take on the accepted status quo vis a vis
unwritten regulations (which the prohibition on profitable companies firing
people is--nothing in labour law says that they can't do it, the bureaucrats
have just chosen to interpret the law to mean that the only condition under
which it is acceptable, defined in the law as "business requirements", is
when the company is losing money).
There is actually quite a lot involved in running a mobile phone company,
and Softbank will need good people to do that. How and where they get the
people will determine the success or failure of the venture. There are a lot
of good people in Vodafone K.K., and I would be really disappointed to see
their skills and passion wasted.
As regards the brand, I can only say that I disagree. Yahoo!, as a brand, is
not not nearly as strong as a few years ago, and despite it's weak product
offering and other issues, Vodafone is a reasonably strong brand. There is
data to support this. And even in the best case scenario, any re-branding
undertaken immediately, would still be very late for mobile number
portability.
Best,
Nik