(keitai-l) Opera Mobile for W-ZER03 [was: Lengthy review of the WS003SH]

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mikes_at_opera.com>
Date: 07/24/06
"Arnold P. Siboro" <asiboro@maltech.jp> writes:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:30:21 +0900
> "Andrew Shuttleworth" <andrew@andrewshuttleworth.com> wrote:
>
> > > Opera for WM5 is not free, so you need to pay. But you are free to
> > > install a trial version.
> >
> > I believe it is free for W-ZERO3 users and is much better than Pocket IE.
>
> I missed the proper name of the software, it should be "Opera Mobile".
> As far as I am concerned it is not free, as mine could no longer start
> since I am past the trial period.

It's not free for all Windows Mobile devices, but it is free for
the W-ZERO3. You just need to install it from the link that Andrew
mentioned earlier:

  http://jp.opera.com/products/mobile/products/wm-zero3/

Click the "Free Download" link there, and you should get this:

  http://ftp.opera.com/pub/.custom/partners/sharp/opera_wmppc_860_wzero3.cab

If that doesn't work for you, definitely let me know.

There's also a specific "Opera Mobile for Willcom W-ZERO3 (Windows
Mobile 5.0)" tutorial (in Japanese) here:

  http://jp.opera.com/support/tutorials/wm-zero3/

> Opera Mini is, however, free and there is even a special download button
> for the zero3. Opera Mini is Java-based, so I guess it is less powerful
> than Opera Mobile.

The Opera Mini client (an under-100Kb jar file) works by
interacting with a proxy server that pre-processes Web pages
before sending them to the client, in a compressed form
(compressed by up to 80 percent).

Opera Mobile is based on the same core code as the PC/desktop
Opera browser, ported to the various OSes/platforms on the devices
it runs on (everything from the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS to
BREW devices, Windows Mobile and Symbian S60 and UIQ devices, and
a whole bunch of different mobile phone/handset OSes).

The version of Opera Mobile available for the W-ZERO3 (version
8.60) has near-complete Javascript support, including support for
AJAX applications that make use of the XMLHttpRequest object. The
current Opera Mini client lacks that support.

So another way to describe the difference is that Opera Mini is
capable of providing access to most Web sites, while Opera Mobile
can give provide access to full-fledged Web applications.

  --Mike

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature