(keitai-l) Re: Keitai with a Japanese-English dictionary?

From: Tom Motoyoshi Kalland <tmk_at_infeline.org>
Date: 01/22/07
On Jan 22, 2007, at 18:13 , Raphael Mazoyer wrote:
>> I'd like to use a regular number, and I'd also like it to have a
>> Japanese-English dictionary.
>
> Casio's W42CA for au features a phone-based dictionary. (Then again,
> it's that enormous water-proof and scratch-proof model, not sure your
> girlfriend will enjoy its look.) The interface is in Japanese. I
> imagine other Casio/au phones might feature it as well.

The au phones won't work in Canada. As for dictionaries I think most
au phones have the above, however I've only found the phones from
Sanyo to provide the dictionary feature built into the input-system
(atok or whatever it is). It makes it a lot more usable when you
don't have to copy and paste it into a dictionary application.

For example; you're typing a mail in Japanese. You enter a word in
hiragana, and the phone pulls up a bunch of different kanji
suggestions and you can't remember which one has the right meaning.
Just select one, and click dictionary and it displays the English
meaning. You can also write the word in English, and have it insert
the Japanese word, etc. Also works so that you can highlight text and
then query the dictionary - great if you receive mails beyond your
kanji skills.

Does any other phones have this?

Regards, Tom