(keitai-l) Re: google phone

From: Joe Bowbeer <joe.bowbeer_at_gmail.com>
Date: 01/29/07
On 1/18/07, Nick May <nick@kyushu.com> wrote:
> This is just rumour/hype/vapourware, etc....
>
> http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/01/18/google.switch.phone/
>
> But I am curious as to whether people think the idea - having all
> apps/data on the network - would fly?
>
> I am skeptical - whatever google knows about you, it would appear the
> US government can know probably about you just by whispering the word
> "terrorism" in google's shell like ear. Which rather puts me off.
>
> It's not just privacy concerns - it seems to be a backward step to
> keep apps stored centrally.
>
> Would carriers go for it? Lots more data transfers, true, but it
> relegates them to "data pipe"status.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Nick

I'm happily using Google Maps and GMail thin clients (MIDlets) on my
LG handset on the Sprint network here in the US.

In terms of privacy, the rumored step would be one step beyond storing
all of one's email on the network, which is a step that millions have
already taken -- myself included.

So far, Google has distinguished itself from Yahoo, MSN, and AOL by
refusing to provide search data - though in the end this may be
nothing more than good PR ("we tried and they didn't").

http://theprivacyplace.org/blog/archives/000128.html