(keitai-l) Re: deliver of Olympics related information

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 11/22/07
Robert,

I don't think you have given enough information for much of a
meaningful response. It depends...

Who are you talking about using your system exactly? Non-Chinese in
China for the duration of the games, accessing data through a roaming
contract of some kind? That sounds expensive for the user - carriers
are likely to charge a hefty fee. I suspect users will be cautious
about accessing such data to any great extent because of the cost.
Unless it is over wifi, of course.

Is your data proprietory/copyrighted? Does it matter if people copy it
and pass it to a friend? If not, then I suspect the mobile web is the
best way to approach things - if degrades more gracefully than Java
does if a handset is not specifically supported. Also, by 2010, what
percentage of the world will be running the iphone, or similar
devices? Will they even RUN Java?

Knocking up a basic wml/xhtml website is a matter of a couple of weeks
work for a single developer. I don't believe you can do that with
Java. So don't do Java unless you really have to.

regards

Nick May

Japanese Maps, English Labels.
Find Japanese addresses in English. Now for phones too...
http://diddlefinger.com
http://diddlefinger.mobi

Any kanji challenged Japan sider with au gps who is willing to help
test a couple of links on diddlefinger.mobi so I can add au gps, I
would be grateful if you would get in touch. Sorry - I can't pay.