(keitai-l) Re: EMONSTER?

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <andrew_at_cvp.jp>
Date: 02/26/08
The single mode 1.7Ghz completely sucks. Why on earth they decided to do that I've no idea. Especially when HTC has plenty of multi-band phones. Maybe they feared people would do too much roaming on the DoCoMo network with a smart phone? Perhaps they have to pay by volume for certain types of connections and face  making a loss? Or perhaps there was some other warped logic? I wonder what full web browser the Toshiba (which does roam) has?
I was at the press conference and the sharp tongued Semmoto-san was very critical of the Japanese mobile phone industry. He was playing an emotion game with the press saying that Japan is behind the rest of the world when it comes to pricing plans. I found him unduly rude to at least one of the people who asked questions - basically telling them to shut up and let others ask questions. That tone was uncalled for. He also said saifu keitai are a waste of time

To find out that we can have our cake (GPS smart phone) but can't eat it outside major metropolitan areas and even in subways in Tokyo was a disappointment.

Still the pricing plans look interesting. I'm all for making things simpler. I find the way Softbank in particular does their pricing at the moment is confusing.

It's also good that they are making it easy for people to have more than one SIM. Pricing from 0 yen for a second line. I wonder when we'll start to see digital cameras with data capabilities and simple web applications. (I know keitais have decent camers, but people still buy digital cameras).

I hope e-mobile they can build out their network fast. It will be interesting to see how the other carriers respond, but as I understand it their networks aren't built to handle the demands that full flat rate data would create so I guess their hands are somewhat tied.

Andrew
www.windowsmobileinjapan.com

----- $B85$N%a%C%;!<%8(B -----
$B:9=P?M(B: Steven_Nagata@capgroup.com
$BAw?.F|;~(B: 2008$BG/(B2$B7n(B25$BF|(B $B7nMKF|(B 15:54
$B08_at_h(B: keitai-l@appelsiini.net
$B7oL>(B: (keitai-l) EMONSTER?

Wow, EMobile is really putting on steam.

On top of the official announcement of voice+data plans they announced a
new variant of the HTC Kaiser platform.
http://www.japan.htc.com/press/pdf/0225_TyTN%20II_JPN_final%20for%20distribution.pdf

From the specs, it *looks* like they are dropping the 2.1GhzHSDPA/GSM/GPRS
modem for a single mode 1.7Ghz module.