(keitai-l) Re: Another Euro iMode story; accuracy??

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 06/20/00
Andrea Hoffmann wrote:

> Hi Ren, hi all,
>
> > I am always facinated by blanket quotes like "technically superior" --
> > as an engineer I ponder what that phrase means.
>
> ok, if you would have to compare wap and imode technically, what
> would be your general conclusion as an engineer?

cHTML is more simplistic simply b/c it's a markup language, whereas WML is
more of a structured programming language, making the learning curve generally
steeper.
Throw in compilation and WML becomes much more technically challenging to
develop rapidly. Also the lack of debug and dev environments make development
and testing take longer, too.

As far a the specification goes, building on the long-supported and
established HTML Internet technologies is much simpler and more prone to
succeed than developing whole technologies new.

Also, WML was always intended to be a backwards-compatible technology;
something that could work on old, slow circuit-switched networks now dominated
by SMS. cHTML, on the other hand, is intended to be future-compatible.

r e n