(keitai-l) RAQ it til you FAQ it - Recently Asked Questions on KEITAI-L

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 03/25/01
Until the FAQ gels, here is a hopelessly-unsorted list of Recently
Asked Questions - an RAQ, if you will.

All right, I'm lying.  Hey, I'm a creative kind of guy, OK?  Actually,
a lot of these are real (albeit lightly-edited) questions that
appeared recently.

Most of the URLs point to an answer, or e-mail containing an
answer (read patiently).  A few links, however, just point to
the contributor's UN-answered question.  Idiotically, I failed
to mark these as such.  I'll do better next time.

And I made up a quite a few questions for answers I found to
questions nobody actually asked.  Many of which even imparted
useful information.

And, of course, after exhaustively indexing all useful information,
there was the dilemma of how, or whether, to refer to my own recent
contributions to keitai-l.  These questions aren't too hard to spot....

Some observations from this trial run:

 - there is overwhelming interest in i-mode;
 - in particular, there is a hunger for statistics;
 - quite a few overseas people need testing help;
 - still others have basic navigation/usage questions;
 - uber-techie issues are nevertheless increasingly prominent.

I'm in the market for some kind of categorization scheme.
Volunteers?

N.B.: Questions marked "[J]" are for entries that point off to
Japanese-only answers.

How many double-byte characters per line fit on the screen in the Fujitsu
color F series?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0496.html

What is the maximum file size in the Fujitsu color F series?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0496.html

Can I look at real i-mode screen flow from outside Japan?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0357.html

Where can I get specs on i-mode line-lengths and file-size limits?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0496.html

Is it "imode" or "i-mode" (or "iMode" or "Imode" or....)?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0485.html

So, OK, then how do I enter 'i-mode' correctly in @$%#! Microsoft Word?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0485.html

...and in @$%#! Microsoft Word 2000?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0493.html

While we're being profane: which @$%#! search engines don't know how
'i-mode' is punctuated?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0490.html

How susceptible to earthquakes is the DoCoMo infrastructure?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0482.html

Any decent English-language i-mode earthquake sites in the event of a
serious quake?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0482.html

What are the proposed standards for URLs for telephone calls?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0494.html

Which proposed-standard "tel:" URL features do i-mode handsets actually
support?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0473.html

What does Nokia's XHTML browser look like?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0470.html

What features will NEC's new GPRS phone have?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0471.html

Any wireless carrier offering a decent [i.e., highly manageable] e-mail
service yet?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0475.html

Where are all these enigmatic user-behavior statistics coming from, anyway?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0464.html

What's the best i-mode emulator?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0488.html

When is Michael Turner going to stop wanking and help write a real FAQ
already?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0461.html

How do you make an IMG-tagged J-Phone graphic "non-clickable"?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0462.html

What's the file format for i-mode ring tones?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0458.html

Can i-mode ring tones be authored on a PC?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0481.html

How are DoCoMo's content standards changing? [J]
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0452.html

Is it possible to hit a link in i-mode e-mail and jump to a site directly?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0451.html

What are the advantages of being able to do that?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0448.html

Will i-mode work out better in the U.S. or in Europe?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0478.html

How are they deriving these Pollyanna ARPU projections for i-mode in the
U.S, anyway?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0450.html

Hey, how about that Nokia 8310!  ("...chameleon"?  "tridimensional surface
decor"??)
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0472.html

Can you please explain "hated"?  As in "...the hated WAP gateways"?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0467.html

Is WAP 2.0 already old hat?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0432.html

Can you test the following code on a real x503i? (was Re: tech- Getting
brand & model in Java)
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0465.html

What are the advantages of getting a user login for tracking BEFORE loading
the iAppli?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0373.html

Or maybe session keys are a good way to do tracking, if security is not an
issue?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0386.html

Any research papers in English about what makes mobile sites successful?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0372.html

How do you find information and statistics on KDDi?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0375.html

Whatever happened to Natasha?  She didn't, like, check out or something, did
s/he?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0368.html

What i-mode sites are popular in Japan?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0379.html

Zentek's i-jade ShortTimer class never seems to fire off any timer events.
What gives?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0367.html

How does the user's "secret number" get set for a site?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0366.html

Where is most i-mode traffic going?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0360.html

What's driving changes in the official/non-official ratio for i-mode sites?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0377.html

Specifically: are DoCoMo's more relaxed policies a driver of changes in this
ratio?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0377.html

Won't network effects make DoCoMo's "walled garden"model increasingly
unattractive?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0377.html

And hasn't this issue been re-hashed enough?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0383.html

When do Japanese use i-mode?  On the train?  Waiting in the station?....[J]
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0356.html

Can an i-mode phone scroll left and right?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0348.html

No?!  Then how the @#$%! DO you navigate images too wide for an i-mode
screen?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0350.html

What are the most popular phones right now?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0346.html

Can you test my site, please, and tell me what happens?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0326.html

How do you properly test an i-mode site if you are not in Japan?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0321.html

We know about YOU already, Michael, but is Henry Minsky also insane? [Re:
iAppli Pico-browser]
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0315.html

I'm, like, a Capricorn?  And I've got, like, a WAP phone?  Should I, y'know,
short-sell LoudCloud?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0316.html

I love it!  Can I get one for MY company, bonsai-investor.com?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0322.html

Where will i-mode's U.S. debut happen, and what might this mean?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0310.html

The Microsoft "Stinger"?  What's that?  Have I been in Japan too long?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0317.html

What do you Europeans call these mobile phone thingies, anyway?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0319.html

And for all you Esperanto-drinkers - oops, that's a language, right?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0325.html

How can I deny access to non-iAppli clients?  Is it enough to check
USER_AGENT?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0304.html

What does DoCoMo mean about opening i-mode to other ISPs?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0422.html

Are there other mobile networks in Japan that already allow this?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0424.html

Does this mean DoCoMo will give up their packet traffic charges??
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0434.html

And what are the implications of ISP choice for the market share for any
given service?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0437.html

What does a developer have to know about i-mode official-site user
subscription?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0344.html

How might one do e-Wallets on i-mode?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0301.html

How can you pretend to be channeling van Wolferen when he's still alive and
all?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0303.html

Fractal user metrics, anyone?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0497.html

How many unofficial i-mode sites are there now?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0363.html

Can you point me to an i-mode chat site and bulletin board, so I can see
what they look like?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0454.html

So what's the killer app for JavaPhones?  (See also: Is Henry Minsky
insane?)
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0330.html

Does DoCoMo charge for packets accepted by the phone or the total their
gateway receives?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0299.html

Ummm....what was the question again?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0290.html

Why should Japanese consumer-electronics companies dominate mobile phone
production? (2)
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0286.html
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0333.html

Who can FAX me an obituary for Ibuka?  You know, the real founder of SONY?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0296.html

Need to know the etymology of "Motorola"?  No?  Well sorry here it is
anyway:
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0336.html

What are some ways of "protecting" desktop browsers from reading i-mode
content?
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0283.html

Until next time,

-m