(keitai-l) Re: Javascripting in Imode

From: Henry Minsky <hqm_at_ai.mit.edu>
Date: 04/17/01

>I actually kind of hope that phones will
>never run Javascript, a language so torn
>at a tender age by browser-war custody
>battles that it never really had a chance
>to grow up.  It's the Elian Gonzalez of
>scripting tools, and any remedy for this
>situation is about as likely as Janet Reno
>and Fidel Castro eloping in the Bahamas.
>
>Besides, there are enough programming languages
>already.  (He says, sighing and glancing wearily
>at his bookshelf.)
>
>-m
>leap@gol.com

What about WMLScript?

Seems like a horrible kludge to me, much like WML itself.

My opinion is that people should use an HTML browser that's built into phones
for this kind of thing, but the phones should support a little servlet engine.
That way, you could write small servlets that run in the phones, and use
the phone's native browser. All they need is a tiny extension to the phone's
browsers to support at "localhost://" url which talks to the local JVM.

The whole idea of WML "cards" is just a poor idea, I wish the WAP people
would admit it,
instead of adding an additional layer of badly designed software
infrastructure.