(keitai-l) Re: I-mode: Success by accident -or- How journalism works.

From: Tony Chan <tonyc_at_telecomasia.net>
Date: 05/11/01
Thanks Jerry,

I'm glad to see you do have a sense of humor. You must be really fun to
have at parties. And I thought you were just being satirical.

As for the column, I had a great time writing it. It was too bad I
couldn't use your really name since I'm not supposed to quote anybody
off this list. But I thought the fact that even i-mode sites, despite
DoCoMo's much reported (yes, by the media) success in raking in the
revenues and driving up subscriber numbers, still fails, goes broke, or whatever.

Or were you just kidding about Natasha Nakamura? Maybe the site was a
complete fabication of someone's imagination, but it doesn't matter
because it doesn't change the point - which is that i-mode sites do
fail, just like Web sites and WAP sites. Then again, I could be
completely wrong, maybe i-mode sites don't fail or go broke, maybe
anyone that puts up content on i-mode are successful and makes lots of money.

It must be a really good thing then that DoCoMo suddenly found
themselves with a 9.6k packet network which they built years ago and
just had lying around doing absolutely nothing. But they should have
launched the i-mode service with more than 1 handset, after all, they
have two for the FOMA launch, not to mention the fact they commissioned
a dozen.

From the media point of view, i-mode has been a great influence on
DoCoMo. Now that they have to tell the world about i-mode, they have
actually set up an international PR department and don't mind talking to
the English press.

Tony (my real name)

Juergen Specht wrote:

> Good Morning Readers,
>
> some of us had a good laugh yesterday as we finally saw the article
> in the Telecom Asia Magazine April issue, page 56 written by
> _Terry_ Chan (not his real name).
>
> So if one of you want to see how an satirical comment in
> this list made it's way into a (hahaha) serious publication
> and all (satirical) facts are mangled, misformed, turned
> around, misunderstood and suddenly you could read:
>
> "I-mode was an unplanned success by accident".
>
> That's great, but how could he get so much information out of
> this post:
> http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2001-03/0368.html
>
> Maybe Telecom Asia should change their name to 'Tales of Asia'
> or at least change _Terrys_ (not his real name) column to
> '_Terrys_ (not his real name) Tales'.
>
> Thanks for entertaining us, _Terry_ (not his real name).
> We appreciate humour in times where "...a reportly sticky content
> site - operating, I imagine on a shoestring - serving the world's
> most successful wireless Internet service still can't make it,
> what chance do wireless content providers worldwide have?".
>
> Start your day with a smile :)
>
> Juergen
> --
> Juergen Specht  [ Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc. ]  http://nooper.com