(keitai-l) Re: DoCoCaCoMoLa according to The Florentine (was Re: Re: Cmode experience)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 09/11/01
> Seems silly, and more effort to use your phone to buy a coke.

Today I bought some soda.  Here's how it went, and it was pretty typical.

(1) I reached into my back pocket.  The wallet snagged a little, as it often
does when it's fat with coins.

(2) I fished out some coins, what I thought was the right amount, and put
them in, fumbling slightly, but eventually getting them all in.  Luckily, I
had enough coins (but then, having as many as I did, the wallet snagged.)

(3) One of the coins clattered through into the change slot.  Damn, a fiver.
Instead of 10 yen.  I always do that.  FIVE YENS COINS DON'T WORK IN VENDING
MACHINES HERE!  To think that my love affair with Japan started when I was
9, when our babysitter came back from the Land of the Rising Sun and gave me
this amazing brown coin with a hole in it.  By design!

Stupidly, I had already shoved my wallet back into my back pocket, in an
even more jammed position.

(4) I took my wallet out again, replaced the 5 yen coin, and fished out a 10
yen coin.  Then....

(5) I dropped the 10 yen coin.

(6) I leaned over to pick it up, and....

(7) My keitai fell out of my shirt-pocket, plus some meishi.

(8) I picked up everything, cursing, put the shirtpocket items back in.

(9) I put the last 10 yen into the vending machine, and, finally....

(10) pushed the button.

...and only then noticed the "urikire" light.  Sold out.

What I am proposing for how cMode might end up is more like this:

(1) take your keitai out of your shirt pocket

(2) point it at the desired item

(3) push one button on the keitai.

And get payment put on the mobile-provider bill.

(Sold out?  I don't know, maybe klaxons go off and you get showered with
confetti.)

Anyway:

I fail to see how my second scenario could ever, even with fumbling of the
keitai, be as inconvenient as my first scenario, even if scenario #1 were
smoothed out to the extent possible.

Next time I'll spell out what I mean in more detail.  After I've filed the
One Click patent, that is.

-michael turner
leap@gol.com