(keitai-l) Re: Java running into trouble on cell phones?

From: tek1 <tek1_at_pobox.com>
Date: 09/05/02
at least in japan, the biggest problem that i see is docomo's doja being
almost completely different from the standard midp, which jphone, au, and
all other mobile java phones support.

the variations due to hardware (i.e. screen size, color, etc.) are to be
expected.  color is not so much an issue, but the article mentioned screen
size as a major difficulty for developers.  for regular (non-game) apps,
midp needs to come up with a layout manager to handle this (currently,
there's none).  doja does a nice (first attempt) job to deal with this
problem by using an html layout, but it's non-standard.

sun needs to be faster in implementing standards and more aggressive in
making sure that the carriers/phones follow the standard.

it would be nice to have an ide (or ide plugin) that allows us developers
to develop to a generic device, click which devices we want to create an
app for, generate the apps, and run each app in its device-specific
emulator for testing.  the j2me toolkit (forte integration) that sun offers
is a nice first attempt, but it doesn't support doja.  each carrier/phone
should release its emulator as a plugin also, so that the plugin can be
dropped into the ide (forte+j2me toolkit) of our choice for testing.

hopefully someone at sun is listening...