(keitai-l) Re: NTT DoCoMo and AT&T

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 12/01/00
At 17:40 2000-12-01 +0900, you wrote:
>Hello
>
>It definitely hit home to me the importance of this deal when I read the
>Industry Standard article re Nokia/AT&T Wireless
>
>http://www.thestandard.net/article/display/0,1151,20524,00.html
>
>As for "WAP NG", the WAP forum people seem to prefer this term over WAP 2.0
>
>(see http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/12372.html)
>
>But when the AT&T press release says "As part of the agreement, AT&T
>Wireless will license from NTT DoCoMo its i-mode technology platform" then
>things start to get really interesting.
>
>But can it really be done...a US i-mode roll-out? The trillion yen
>question, eh?

Yes and no. They may of course apply their brand i-mode to AT&T services. I
have a hard to see what technology platform that would be relevant here.
There is nothing special with DoCoMo's server platform, rather the
opposite. I would rather say that AT&T already has something better
themselves for some applications. Expect maybe for the crappy phone.com
stuff the are using for the pocketnet services.

In terms of handsets, there is definitely a HUGE problem. There are no
TDMA/CDPD handsets even in the minds of the engineers that could be
relevant for CHTML/colour screen services. So that is highly unlikely.
Maybe when 3G becomes a reality. Or through AT&T's future GPRS roll-out
during late 2001, and if the handset manufacturers get it.

/g

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747