(keitai-l) Re: Stinger: What do you think?

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_X-9.com>
Date: 02/20/01
> here's the 'stinger' home page
> http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/phones/default.asp

Thanks for the info. The phone on the site looks to be devoid of a colour
screen and is IMHO ugly. If Microsoft can tie up with some innovative mobile
manufactures and providers, mobile space could get very interesting though.

> First Mobile Phone Utilizing Microsoft Mobile Explorer 3.0 With
> HTML, cHTML
> and WAP Support
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/Feb01/02-19MMEPR.asp
> [yes, i know the i-mode != cHTML argument)

Unfortunately Microsoft press releases have always made good fiction ;).
Both IE and Netscape have always supported CHTML as it is a subset of HTML
and the Mobile Explorer would support WML not WAP.

> There was a discussion previously about the Pros/Cons of Flash on mobiles
> [versus Java, scripting capability (WMLScript?) and other interative
> possibilies]. i wonder if we *will* see Flash on mobiles sooner
> that we (I)
> thought.

While there are some excellent examples of Flash applications out there, God
forbid we have to suffer more self-indulgent Flash fests before we get to an
actual sites content. Maybe manufactures could perhaps put a dedicated "Skip
Intro" key on the phone ;)

Kyle

X-9 DESIGN LAB
http://www.X-9.com