(keitai-l) Re: SmD

From: Paul Bryan Lester <pbl1_at_livedoor.com>
Date: 08/17/01
Try getting the newest version of smdEd.

The older one never did percussion right for me
and I've never tried the new ones because of that,
but I think it does do percussion right (because of other
posts on keitai-L)..

    Also remember that MIDI files are funny sometimes.
The percussion is supposed to be one 1 channel, but with
JavaSound (and perhaps other things too)
it puts it on a different one.  So when
I convert I listen for 2 modes, one for the percussion
on channel "9" and the other for the percussion on channel "10".
(That is numbering starting on channel 0....)
That may be relevant as well.  You may need to switch the
data inside the midi file, swapping those channels.  If the
percussion is on the wrong MIDI channel it will sound like
a guitar or piano.

    The gunshot trick was relevant for MFi 3,4 files and is no
longer needed for MFi-16 files.  But it may still work.  I've never
looked into that issue carefully.

    Volume is another story entirely.  Not only does it vary inside
a midi or MFi file, but your volume control panel (if you use windows)
may have a much lower midi volume than WAV or CD volume
and that may be the culprit.

Manik Jandial wrote:

> Hi,
> I am converting some midi files to i-melody(.mld) through SMD converter
> ,but after converting it into i-melody its volume reduces and is not much
> audible in the emulators(Zentek) .Also the drums used in the midi files (on
> channel 10) sounds like some guitar ....
> Now suppose i want to make some sound like gunshot how will i convert it to
> run on keitai since that gunshot  will sound like guitar .
> so,please tell me what properties can we play on keitais  and other useful
> information about sounds on keitai
> Regards,
> Manik

-Paul Lester
(at home)
pbl1@cornell.edu
http://members.tripod.com/~pbl1/

"Don't Forget to Try in Mind"
      "May the Force be with you"
              "Ketchup is Good"
-"Ketchup, natto and kimchee, that`s what Wogis are made of"