(keitai-l) Re: 3 strategy vs Ntt DoCoMo Foma

From: Mark Frieser <mark_at_consect.com>
Date: 06/06/03
Hi Giovanni,

Don't you think that since the vast majority of ARPU is voice based, it
makes sense for every telco to play the voice price game?

In my opinion, no matter how many great features you have on the data side,
people are driven to a particular mobile carrier due to their ability to
deliver the best coverage at the lowest price.

Of course, this is different in Japan, but even so, FOMA didn't really start
to develop until we saw a lowering in the basic pricing and good coverage.

Until that point, there was not real usage of FOMA.

I think that in terms of the UK market, its not the worst strategy to get
3's phones out to the public in the face of some heavy competition for data
and voice.

After they get a critical mass of customers, then perhaps they can exert
more effort on competing on data FOMA style.

mark