(keitai-l) Re: Quicktime now supports 3GPP standards - switching costs

From: Giovanni Bertani <giovanni.bertani_at_exsense.com>
Date: 06/09/03
Venerd=EC, 6 giu 2003, alle 18:57 Europe/Rome, Eric Hildum ha scritto:

> Microsoft also does not support SyncML for exactly the same reason. If
> they did support SyncML, it would be much easier for somebody to =
switch
> away from PocketPC, Outlook, and Windows systems.
>
> You've noticed of course that Microsoft applications support import
> well, but are terrible at export. This includes the support for
> standard protocols such as Kerberos. Think of a crab trap - easy to =
get
> in, impossible to get out of. That is a specific policy of Microsoft
> across the board.

Ok this really makes sense.

Nokia and the JP carries are then keeping high the switching costs and
on the opposite Sony Ericsson is embracing all the major standards
to build value on the phones.

Nokia, by the end, under this point if view is always trying the MS way.
I wonder for how long they will be able to keep this strategy...

I this syncing feature still something important just for a niche?

One more note:

The funny thing is that Nokia syncing application (PC Suite) does not=20
run
on Windows XP and does not work in any way with Bluetooth.

So right now only on Mac Os X you can sync you PC over bluetooth.

By my experience now with iSync i can change my phone without any
worry. Let's say from Nokia to Siemens to Sony Ericsson.
I can throw away my Palm PDA and move to a smartphone.
I can use a smaller phone and have my iPod for my calendar etc.

This is a nightmare for any handset and keitai manufacturer...

GB