(keitai-l) Re: lust

From: Jonas Petersson <zap_at_xms.se>
Date: 11/30/04
Hi,

Kyle Barrow wrote:
> I've been using a Nokia 7600 with a Vodafone USIM for some time and it
> works great with my PowerBook. It is not (yet) supported by iSync but
> you can use bluetooth to transfer contacts, access the internet, etc,
> on your Mac. I never got iCal to work well with it and the 7600 is
> pretty weak on the PIM side but the 6630 Vodafone is offering should
> include far more advanced Series 60 applications.

Speaking of "lust" - I must say I'm pretty happy with my Nokia 9500 now,
the WiFi+BT combo was exactly what I needed along with a smaller
footprint (still big, but hey it's a REAL keyboard and I don't mind
carrying it on my hip), more memory and some other frills. It doesn't
take a USIM (afaik) so I suppose it's OT here really, but it should be
fairly straight forward to get Skype (or any other VOIP app) going on it
if anyone cared - but I guess it must come from a 3rd party as the
operators hardly will want that preinstalled... (Have not tried IPSec
and GPS yet).

Details: http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,54108,00.html

I've found a few glitches in the initial firmware, but although it
occasionally does the wrong thing (or lacks a function), it seems VERY
stable so far - the only app that has crashed was Opera when I visited a
site with heaps of Flash and Javascript popup etc (no, not Pr0n, a
"normal" newssite!), and it apparently just did a clean exit, no hang or
reboot.

Related to the parallell discussion, with this amount of CPU, memory,
screen, keyboard etc it should be rather OK to run Linux (or similar) on
this box - it's not much different from the "Familiar" iPaq project that
worked on the original 3600, but perhaps getting the HW specs would be
trickier.

			Best / Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson  |  XMS Penvision  |  mailto:Jonas.Petersson@xms.se