(keitai-l) Re: Extra antenna for higher data rates on 3G

From: Ian Mansfield <ian.mansfield_at_amplefuture.com>
Date: 02/16/05
Let's see if I understand what is being said!

If I'm the only one connected to a base station with a 3G datacard, I
will get the entire bandwidth that base station have to the backbone.

>> You will get all the bandwidth that the operator permits you to access - usually this will be caped at a level lower than the base station is theoretically capable of supporting though.

If I had two datacards and there's three connections with the base
station, I would get 2/3 of the bandwidth available as opposed to 50% if
I only had one datacard.

>> Correct, unless you are using two datacards on two different networks (which may connect to the same base station, but use different antennas/frequency sets).

An extra antenna wouldn't really make a difference unless there's heavy
usage at the nearest base station which would cause the coverage area to
shrink or if I'm just outside the normal coverage area of the nearest
base station and the antenna would strengthen the signals and thereby
increasing the coverage area of the base station.

>> Correct, although the antenna wouldn't increase the base station coverage, just improve your chances of being retained as the cell shrinks.

Did I understand you all correct?