(keitai-l) Re: New Topic: Response to VF Bashing (was RE: Re: VFX (was Re: Vappli))

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 02/16/05
the Japanese operators have been bearing very high costs by not
following the global standard, but anyway they succeeded.

standards may translate into volume production, which Japanese are
masters.  but you have to consider a range of different factors,
and weight them differently depending on changing conditions.

you may want to respond quickly to the market (vs. speed limit),
or to be more adapted to the local market (vs. one-size-fit-all),
more customized services for higher profits, more flexible.
(-> J-Phone/Voda.jp's PDC network)

the global standard is good when we are in a saturated market where
big chances for new development are rare (we are going that way?).

think it would be better to give Voda.jp a free hand to concentrate
on the local market and pioneer new services and technologies for
the rest of the group who can have their global standard later on.

J-Phone used to be a brand which I loved, but now they lost premium
customers to au/KDDI and DoCoMo, and are not performing as well as
TU-KA serving the low segment market ... the meaning of "standard"