(keitai-l) Re: Vodafone does FeliCa

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 02/28/05
Nick,

Remembering that Felica is just the technology platform, I think its
certainly more than possible. The system basically enables the wireless
transmission of an ID number and what happens after that is up to whatever
backroom system is in place.

With Edy, I understand the units in the stores reconcile the transactions
once a day, not in real time, so you're limited from the beginning with
that. I'm also not sure whether times of transactions are reconciled. All
BitWallet really cares about is that your total purchases and credits from
the day match up and they are foregoing a certain amount of security to aid
simplicity. It's intended as a replacement for cash after all, not for a
credit card.

But turn that system real-time and you've got tracking. I'm sure JR could
easily do the same with Suica.

It's probably not so much of a concern in Japan, where most consumers don't
seem very bothered by what Europeans might consider technology capable of
"big-brother"type surveillance.

Regards,

Martyn