(keitai-l) Re: Implementing a Messaging Push System in Japan

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 11/10/05
William,

some answers below.

William Volk wrote:
> All,
>
>     I know that SMS isn't all that popular in Japan, and that short-length
> email is the preferred way of sending messages.  So I have the following
> questions:
>
> 1. Is there an equivalent of a "SMS Shortcode"?  A short address used to
> access a service.

yes, short emails and QR codes and numbers are used.
you'll find a lot about QR codes on the DoCoMo site, on the web
and in our report:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/qr-code/

> 2. Can I push the address of a i-mode page (C-HTML) in a message?  A DoJa
> application?

yes. but I don't know what exactly you mean by push. if you mean
sending an email with an URL, yes of course you can do this.
whether the page found there is cHTML or anything else does
not matter, that only affects how is is displayed. For example
you can also include a jpg or gif image which is not CHTML.

> 3. Can location (GPS) information be determined by a server receiving a
> message?  By a C-HTML server?  Or is that limited only to a DoJa applet.

its not limited to applets. however in the case of DoCoMo almost
no phones have GPS at this time, but uses i-area which is very
rough, but it knows whether the user is in Hokkaido or in Osaka.
More about location based services in Japan:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/store/location/

> 4. Does mobile Flash (Flash-lite) have access to GPS information?

don't know, but probably yes.

Gerhard

> Thanks,
>
> William Volk
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                          Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
http://fasol.com/                       http://www.eurotechnology.com/