(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 12/08/05
On Dec 7, 2005, at 20:25, Nick May wrote:

> On 7 Dec 2005, at 17:23, Kyle Barrow wrote:
>> The CSS media tag allows you do this without the need for the third
>> site branch. You can see this in action if you point Opera over to
>> http://pukupi.com and switch between small-screen and full screen
>> modes.
>
> I can't see this as my opera has expired.... Does it actually put
> more links on the site, allow new technologies - etc etc - or just
> change the layout of the page?

If you have Opera on your desktop, you can switch small and full
screen modes from the "view" menu. Firefox users can do the same with
the web developer extension.

All the media property does is allow you to assign device (media)
dependent CSS. More often than not this is used with "print" media to
reformat the page when printed but combining the media tag with
"display: none" allows the developer complete control over the what
content is delivered to a mobile. Taking the http://
www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1660570,00.html example,
irrelevant menu items and advertising could be hidden or rearranged
to make the mobile experience better.

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/dev/multiple/ has more details
on this technique.

> I mean - could one use this trick for  google map display code?
>
> in the 702NK built in browser it just shows
>
> "welcome to minimalist nirvana, the mobile version of Pukupi"

Currently I have no publicly accessible mobile content so minimalist
nirvana is what you get.

> my understanding is that the css media tag is just for layout - not
> information architecture...

It serves both roles. Using "display: none" can deliver a completely
different IA for mobile.

Kyle

--

mobile web gear | pukupi.com | 34°40'n 135°30'e