(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Web Development in Japan: A Tag Soup Tale

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 12/08/05
I understand. I think.
But this is at the cost of delivering the WHOLE kaboodle  to the
handset, then choosing which bits to display. The basic "download" is
the same for both desktop and mobile If I understand correctly. You
just don't see parts of it...

In practice, isn't this just a "third cut by any other name" - with a
lot of the work of a third cut (all the layout work) with none of the
advantages of a smaller download that a genuine third cut would have?

It seems a kluge, basically. In-elegant. Wasteful. A dog on its hind
legs. Fine for smallish screens accessing data over wifi, but not
really suitable for handsets accessing data over a phone network.

Or have I misunderstood something?

Nick

  (A smartphone is anything smarter than its user.)