(keitai-l) Re: smartphones

From: Arnold P. Siboro <asiboro_at_maltech.jp>
Date: 12/08/05
I think it's like trying to define server computer and personal computer.
In the past there was big difference, but now the two overlaps in many
areas. So I guess it's rather hard to define smartphone nowadays. Many
Japanese phones have PIM and other smart features.

I notice that one thing that many Japanese phones, no matter how smart
they are, lack is the ability for users to install/remove programs. This
is IMHO the greatest factor that makes FOMA M1000 different from other
FOMA handsets. In this sense, no au is truly smart, and Vodafone only
has 702NK (but crippled by Vodafone).

So perhaps a truly smart phones are the ones that let users
freely install applications, and this is normally possible only with
Symbian/MS/Linux(?) based smartphones.

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:36:56 +0900
Gerhard Fasol <fasol@eurotechnology.com> wrote:

> One thing I am also puzzled with:
>
> What exactly is the dictionary-type/logic definition of
> a "smartphone"?
>
> eg.
> Definition A:
> A smartphone is a phone which runs Symbian or MS, but
> not any other operating system...
>
> Defintion B:
> A smartphone is a phone which contains PIM, desktop
> applications, picture editing, and the following
> specific software:
>
> Definition C:
> A smartphone is a phone which allows syncinc with a
> Microsoft Windows PC?
>
> Does anybody have a good definition which stands up
> to discussion?
>
> Gerhard
>
> Nick May wrote:

Arnold P. Siboro (asiboro@maltech.jp)

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.