(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone and DDI business models

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 06/23/00
Hi Dave,

> Also, here's where I'm going to fess up to some ignorance, and look for
> someone to clarify things for me.
> DoCoMo offers I-Mode, using cHTML
> J-Phone offers J-Sky Net(?), using WAP
> IDO offers CDMAsomethingorother, using WAP?
> DDI offers ?, using WAP?
> Tuka offers ?, using WAP?
> Any others?

IDO, DDI and Tuka all deliver a joint service called CdmaOne
(ezweb and ezaccess), which is the Japanese WAP. The
corresponding markup language to build cdmaone servies is
HDML (=Handheld Device Markup Language).

HDML is not similar to HTML but close to WML (=Wireless Markup
Language), the WAP markup language mostly used in Europe and the
States.

J-Phone delivers J-Skyweb (=neither wap nor i-mode!) and the
corresponding markup language is MML (Mobile Markup Language)
which is similar to HTML and CHTML.

DoCoMo offers I-Mode and the corresponding markup language
is CHTML (Compact HTML) which is similar to MML and HTML.

(This is said to be one reason why DoCoMo fears J-Phone
more as a competitor then CdmaOne although J-Phone has
only a few hundred sites so far. the services are build
with a similar markup language.)

HTH,
Andrea
--
Andrea Anima Hoffmann  ---  Mobile phone: 090-7406-5370
Westcyber Mobile Japan -- http://anima.editthispage.com